Friday, November 15, 2013

Can a Holy Spirit filled person be possessed (exercised) by a demon?

Can a Holy Spirit filled person be possessed (exercised) by a demon? The Bible gives some examples of people possessed or influenced by demons. From these examples we can find some symptoms of demonic influence and gain insight as to how a demon possesses someone. Here are some of the biblical passages: Matthew 9:32-33; 12:22; 17:18; Mark 5:1-20; 7:26-30; Luke 4:33-36; Luke 22:3; Acts 16:16-18. In some of these passages, the demon possession causes physical ailments such as inability to speak, epileptic symptoms, blindness, etc. In other cases, it causes the individual to do evil, Judas being the main example. In Acts 16:16-18, the spirit apparently gives a slave girl some ability to know things beyond her own learning. The demon-possessed man of the Gadarenes, who was possessed by a multitude of demons (Legion), had superhuman strength and lived naked among the tombstones. King Saul, after rebelling against the LORD, was troubled by an evil spirit (1 Samuel 16:14-15; 18:10-11; 19:9-10) with the apparent effect of a depressed mood and an increased desire to kill David. Concerning the involvement of demons in the lives of Christians, the apostle Peter is an illustration of the fact that a believer can be influenced by the devil (Matthew 16:23). Many incorrectly believe that a Christian cannot be possessed because he has the Holy Spirit abiding within (2 Corinthians 1:22; 5:5; 1 Corinthians 6:19), and the Spirit of G-d would not share residence with a demon. They are wrong, very wrong! ..................................................................................................................................................................................................... In Luke 9:1-6 we read: "Then He called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And He sent them to preach the kingdom of G-d, and to heal the sick. And He said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece. And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart. And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them. And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where." Clearly Jesus gave all 12 power and authority over ALL devils, and to cure diseases. They went and healed everywhere! In the very same Chapter of Luke we read after Jesus' transfiguration in verses 37 - 42: "And it came to pass, that on the next day, when they were come down from the hill, much people met him. And, behold, a man of the company cried out, saying, Master, I beseech thee, look upon my son: for he is mine only child. And, lo, a (single) spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him. And I besought (all) thy disciples to cast him (this one devil) out; and they (all) could not. And Jesus answering said, O faithless (a spirit of unbelief) and perverse (a perverse spirit) generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither. And as he was yet a coming, the (single) devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the (single) unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father." In verse 43 - 44 we read: "And they were all amazed at the mighty power of G-d. But while they wondered (a spirit of doubt/blindness) every one at all things which Jesus did, He said unto his disciples, Let these sayings sink down into your (a spirit of deafness) ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men." In verse 45 we read: " But they understood (a spirit of confusion) not this saying, and it was hid (“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost”) from them, that they perceived (a spirit of misunderstanding) it not: and they feared (a spirit of fear) to ask Him of that saying. In verse 46 we read: "Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest (a spirit of pride)." In verses 47-48 we read: "And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him, And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth Him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great." In verse 49 we read: " And John answered and said, Master, we saw one (a jealous spirit) casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us (we are to follow the Lord - not man - this is a denominational/religious spirit)." In verse 50 -53 we read: "And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. And it came to pass, when the time was come that He should be received up, He stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, And sent messengers before His face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for Him. And they did not receive Him, because His face was as though He would go to Jerusalem." In verse 54 - 55 we read: " And when His disciples James and John saw this (a spirit of anger) , they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume (a murderous/hateful spirit) them (a spirit of prejudice), even as Elias did? But He turned, and rebuked them (all of the spirits in his disciples) , and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of." Why didn't Jesus simply cast out their demons? In Luke 11:24-26 we read: "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first." Never cast out a demon unless the person wants you to do so and then fill the vacated area with the Holy Spirit, His blood and His Light! Jesus, Peter, James and John had just come down from the mountain where Jesus had been transfigured when they found all the other disciples engaged in an argument with some religious teachers. A man had brought them his son who was possessed by a single evil spirit, but they all had failed to cast this single demon out. We know that, prior to this, Jesus had given His disciples authority to cast out demons (see Matthew 10:1; Mark 3:14-15; Luke 9:1). And, prior to this, they had successfully cast out demons (see Mark 6:13). So why, this time, did they fail? According to Mark's Gospel, Jesus told them it was because that this particular kind of demon could only be cast out through prayer and fasting. However, Matthew also recorded Jesus' response as being: "You didn't have enough faith" (Matthew 17:20). Both Matthew and Mark were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write their Gospels, and so we must conclude that Jesus gave both reasons as to why the disciples failed. They had their own demons and obviously also suffered from a lack of faith, because as soon as Jesus heard they'd failed, He lamented, "You stubborn, faithless [or, unbelieving] people! How long must I be with you until you believe?" (Matthew 17:17). Also, when the boy's father asked Jesus to help him if He could, Jesus responded, "If I can?...Anything is possible if a person believes" (Mark 9:23). In another Gospel, Matthew 17:21 we read: " Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." Jesus did not fast and pray before he cast out this particular kind of demon in Luke 9; but His spirit filled disciples would need to fast and pray before they were completely delivered of all the particular kind of spirits they were being troubled by. Paul, the chief of all the Apostles also said that he was also the chief of all the sinners who also could not cast out a single demon who kept Paul from not doing what was wrong and doing what was right. James 4:7 says, "Submit yourselves therefore to G-d. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." Possession (being exercised by a demon) is simple to understand - when you are having a heated argument and the phone rings and you answer sweetly "Hello!" You just resisted the demon and he fled from you - momentarily - you can always return to your argument/anger demon after the phone call if you wish ...................... and/or you can continue to believe old slewfoot had nothing to do with your failures and continue to blame and condemn yourself and/or others. In Ephesians 6:12 we read: "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Cor. 12:7-10) "Was then that which is good made death unto me? G-d forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of G-d after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank G-d through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of G-d; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 7: 13 - 8:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment